The Roman Empire is full of intrigue, scandals, and crazy rulers. While some Emperors were crazier than others (lookin’ at you, Nero), there’s still a number of others worth learning about – one of them being Caligula, who ruled for just under 5 years. Don’t know much about this particular Roman Emperor? Look no further!
- He formed the plans to invade Britain; however, he was never able to start those plans himself before his reign as Emperor ended
- His father, Germanicus, was a well-respected and beloved general of the Roman legions
- Gaius was actually his real name – Caligula, meaning “Little Boots” or “Booties,” was given to him as a nickname when he was a child by the Roman legions during his time with them while his father was commanding them
- He ruled for 4 years before being assassinated by officers within the Praetorian Guard
- Caligula’s rule was plagued by problems after the first 6 months of his rule – he had several issues with the Senate and had a reputation of being an unstable tyrant after rumors of his cruelty, sadism, extravagance, and sexual perversion came to light
Interested in learning more about Caligula? Check out season 3 the Roman Empire on Netflix! It focuses on all of the intrigue, scandals, and power struggles of Caligula’s reign.
- 10 Fun Facts About Henry VIII
- 9 Fun Facts About Georgiana Cavendish
- 20 Fun Facts About Ancient Rome
- 10 Fun Facts About Cleopatra
- 10 Fun Facts About Marcus Aurelius
As an recent college graduate who studied media studies and anthropology in college, Briana Maddox enjoys learning about different cultures, traditions, holidays, historical figures, experiences, and opinions. With a vested interest in sharing such learning experiences, Briana created Life & Anthropology in the hopes of helping other people gain a better understanding and working knowledge of such topics.