Do you feel the drums echoing tonight? Well, you might if you’ve ever visited the famous Mount Kilimanjaro, located in Tanzania. Outside of being mentioned in the popular song Africa by Toto, Kilimanjaro is well-known for a number of reasons, mainly due to its popularity as a hiking destination for avid hikers and runners. Don’t know much about Kilimanjaro? Check out these 10 fun facts about the mountain:
- Kilimanjaro the tallest mountain in Africa
- It’s also the highest free-standing mountain in the world
- The oldest person to climb Kilimanjaro was Robert Wheeler, who reached the summit of the mountain on October 2, 2014 at the age of 85 years old
- Kilimanjaro is technically a volcano with 3 cones (A.K.A., volcanic openings) – Kibo, Mawenzi, and Shira
- While Shira and Mawenzi are extinct volcanoes, Kiba is dormant and could erupt again in the future
- The snowcaps are predicted to melt away within the next couple of decades
- The first recorded summit was in 1889 by Hans Meyer, Ludwig Purtscheller, and their local guide
- There are 7 official trekking routes for Kilimanjaro
- The fastest ascent and round trip of the mountain was completed by Karl Egloff in 2014, with the ascent done in 4 hrs 56 min. and the round trip completed in 6 hrs 42 min. 24 sec.
- There are 5 distinct ecological zones on the mountain (bushland, rain forest, moorland, alpine desert, & arctic)
Places of the World 5 ecological zones of kilimanjaro africa by toto africa by wheezer african volcano african volcanoes ecological zones of kilimanjaro fastest ascent of kilimanjaro fastest recorded ascent of kilimanjaro fastest recorded round trip of kilimanjaro fastest round trip of kilimanjaro first person to hike kilimanjaro first person to summit kilimanjaro hans meyer kibo kilimanjaro ludwig purtscheller mawenzi oldest person to hike kilimanjaro robert wheeler shira tallest free-standing mountain in the world tallest mountain in africa volcano volcanoes what are the 5 zones of kilimanjaro what's the tallest free standing mountain in the world what's the tallest mountain in africa who was the first person to hike kilimanjaro who was the first person to summit kilimanjaro who was the oldest person to hike kilimanjaro who was the oldest person to summit kilimanjaro
As an recent college graduate who studied media studies and anthropology in college, Briana Maddox enjoys learning about different cultures, traditions, holidays, historical figures, experiences, and opinions. With a vested interest in sharing such learning experiences, Briana created Life & Anthropology in the hopes of helping other people gain a better understanding and working knowledge of such topics.