Advertisements

10 Fun Facts About Libya

Although it might not be as highly influential in Western culture as other countries are, Libya has had an influential part in defining and changing history, especially its role in the Arab Spring in recent years. The country has had a turbulent past, not gaining independence from different empires and colonial powers until the 1950s and not discovering oil, a rich and money-generating natural resource, until recently. However, regardless of how much attention Western society has paid to this African country, it’s still worth learning about. Don’t know much about Libya? Look no further! You’ve come to the right place. Here are 10 fun facts about the country:

  1. 96% of its population is Sunni Muslim, with the other 4% subscribing to different belief systems
  2. Libya is one of the top oil-rich countries in the world
  3. Moammar al-Gadhafi, Libya’s ruler that was recently overthrown during the Arab Spring, ruled from 1969 to 2011
  4. Gadhafi ruled with an authoritarian-like government up until he was overthrown
  5. King Idris I proclaimed the independence of Libya in December of 1951 after the U.N. had several discussions about the country’s future
  6. The controversial attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi took place in 2012 in Libya
  7. Tripoli is the capital of Libya
  8. It’s located in Northern Africa, right next to Egypt and the Mediterranean Sea
  9. There are no permanent rivers in the country – all of them are manmade
  10. The official language of Libya is Arabic

Interested in learning more about history, historical figures, & other historical fun facts? Check out our History page! And don’t forget to come back every Tuesday and Friday for new posts. Check out our Facebook and Instagram pages as well to keep up with us on social media!

Places of the World

Advertisements

Briana Maddox View All →

As an recent college graduate who studied media studies and anthropology in college, Briana Maddox enjoys learning about different cultures, traditions, holidays, historical figures, experiences, and opinions. With a vested interest in sharing such learning experiences, Briana created Life & Anthropology in the hopes of helping other people gain a better understanding and working knowledge of such topics.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: