Although the United States and Pakistan haven’t always had the best relationship, Pakistan is still one of the more influential countries of the Middle East. Over the course of history, the country has influenced history multiple times. Regardless of what you’re opinions are on the Middle East, the countries that make up that region are definitely worth reading up on. If you’re looking to learn more about the country, you’ve come to the right place! Here are 9 fun facts about the country:
- Roughly 96% of the population is Muslim (according to CNN)
- The country gained independence in 1947 after India was partitioned from Britain in 1947
- India & Pakistan have fought several wars, two over the Cashmir region and one over the region now known as Bangladesh
- Benazir Bhutto was the first woman to e elected as Prime Minister for the country, as well as the first woman elected to lead a modern Muslim nation
- Benazir Bhutto was assassinated in 2007 and buried next to her father, who also ruled as a Prime Minister for the country
- Perez Musharraf took power in 1999 and ruled until 2008, when he resigned
- al-Qa’ida, the infamous terrorist group, operates near the Pakistan-Afghanistan border
- Obama bin Laden died during a Navy Seal raid on his compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan in 2011
- The official name of the country is The Islamic Republic of Pakistan
- The Khewra Salt Mine is one of the world’s largest salt mines
- Gwadar, Pakistan is the world’s largest deep sea port
If you’re interested in learning more about different cities & countries around the world, check out our Cities & Countries page! Or check out our History page if you’re interested in learning more about history. Don’t forget to come back every Tuesday and Friday for more lifestyle, history, & travel posts!
Places of the World al-qaeda bangladesh Benazir bhutto bin laden briana maddox cashmir cities & countries deepest sea port deepest sea port in the world gwadar History India Islam khewra salt mine largest salt mines in the world life history & travel middle east middle eastern countries middle eastern country osama osama bin laden pakistan perez musharraf second largest salt mine in the world the islamic republic of pakistan the middle east
As an recent college graduate who studied media studies and anthropology in college, Briana Maddox enjoys learning about different cultures, traditions, holidays, historical figures, experiences, and opinions. With a vested interest in sharing such learning experiences, Briana created Life & Anthropology in the hopes of helping other people gain a better understanding and working knowledge of such topics.