Although she might not be as remembered as her relative Princess Diana, Georgiana Cavendish was as influential & well-known during her life in the late 18th century. And her influence over British history & culture can still be studied and looked at today, with several television shows and even a movie (titled The Duchess) showing her life & influence. If you don’t know much about her but are interested in learning more, you’ve come to the right place! Here are 9 fun facts about Georgiana Cavendish:
- Georgiana belonged to the Spencer family – specifically, she was the daughter of the 1st Earl Spencer & is related to Princess Diana, who was the daughter of the 8th Earl Spencer!
- Georgiana Cavendish was born Georgiana Spencer and married William Cavendish, the 5th Duke of Devonshire
- Georgiana’s life mirrored Diana’s life, with the exception of Diana passing away after a terrible car crash
- She was best known for being a well-known English socialite, political organizer, style icon, author, and activist in her time
- She raised one of her husband’s illegitimate children, named Charlotte, as her own daughter after Charlotte’s own mother died
- Both Georgiana & William, the Duke of Devonshire, had extramarital affairs & illegitimate children – the most famous affair being the Duke’s affair with Lady Elizabeth Foster, who was a friend of Georgiana & gave birth to a daughter & son after the affair began
- Among her acquaintances, she was friendly with Marie Antoinette, King George IV, Charles Grey (one of Britain’s Prime Ministers), and many other influential artists, writers, & politicians
- Her relationship with her husband was strained after several miscarriages & stillbirths, despite them eventually having 3 daughters & son
- It’s believed that she left $3.7 million of debt with her husband after she died in 1806
If you’re interested in learning more about historical figures & fun facts, check out our History page!
History 10 fun facts 10 fun facts about the duchess of devonshire Britain British History duchy of devonshire Europe European History fun facts Georgiana Cavendish georgiana cavendish and princess diana Great Britain Historical Figure Historical Figures History princess diana Spencer family tree the Duchess the Duchess of Devonshire the history of Great Britain the Spencer family the U.K. the UK the United Kingdom Upper Class was georgiana Cavendish related to princess diana were Georgiana Cavendish and princess Diana related William cavendish
As an recent college graduate who studied media studies and anthropology in college, Briana Maddox enjoys learning about different cultures, traditions, holidays, historical figures, experiences, and opinions. With a vested interest in sharing such learning experiences, Briana created Life & Anthropology in the hopes of helping other people gain a better understanding and working knowledge of such topics.