Henry VIII is one of Britain’s most notorious rulers due to his continuous flow of new wives and beheaded old ones. Although his rule has been largely overshadowed by the controversies of his marriages, it still remains as a highly publicized and well-known rule since the 16th century. Regardless, he changed the course of history with his first divorce and remains a highly influential force in modern society. If you don’t know much about Henry VIII, you’ve come to the right place. Here are 10 fun facts about the 16th century British monarch:
- He separated from the Roman Catholic Church & started the Church of England just to be able to get divorced & remarried; this lead to the English Reformation & to any future British monarch becoming the head of the Church of England as well
- His daughter with Anne Boleyn was Queen Elizabeth I, one of England’s most famous queens to ever ascend the throne
- Henry VIII became the crown prince after his older brother passed away unexpectedly at the age of 15, unable to ever ascend as a British monarch
- His first wife, Catherine of Aragon, was originally married to his older brother & became a widow after his brother’s death
- He displayed all of the signs & symptoms of being a hypochondriac
- Out of the 6 wives that Henry VIII had, 1 died (due to childbirth), 1 survived, 2 were divorced, and 2 were beheaded
- He was the King of England & Ireland from 1509 to January 1547
- Henry VIII only had one son, Edward VI, who survived to become king
- After his death, Henry VIII was buried next to Jane Seymour, his third wife
- He’s known as the father of the British Royal Navy
If you’re interested in learning more about history, check out our History page! Don’t forget to come back every Tuesday and Friday for more posts!
History anne boleyn british royal navy catherine of aragon edward vi England facts about anne boleyn facts about catherine of aragon facts about edward vi facts about english rulers facts about henry viii facts about jane seymour facts about the church of england facts about the english reformation facts about the tudor dynasty father of the british royal navy fun facts about edward vi fun facts about english rulers fun facts about henry viii henry viii jane seymour London Queen Elizabeth I united kingdom where is henry viii buried who began the english reformation who is henry viii buried next to who is known as the father of the British royal navy who started the church of england
As an recent college graduate who studied media studies and anthropology in college, Briana Maddox enjoys learning about different cultures, traditions, holidays, historical figures, experiences, and opinions. With a vested interest in sharing such learning experiences, Briana created Life & Anthropology in the hopes of helping other people gain a better understanding and working knowledge of such topics.