Morocco is a popular vacation spot in Africa, and many people know of its largest city, Casablanca, from the famous 1942 movie that remains as a popular film in today’s culture. Morocco has a long and highly interesting history, despite the fact that many African countries aren’t as well known or as popular in Western society as other European and North American countries are. Spanning over thousands of years, Moroccan culture and history are still worthing learning about; so, without further ado, here are 10 fun facts about the country if you’re just beginning to learn about it:
- Morocco is a relatively small country- it’s about the size of California
- Casablanca is the country’s largest city
- Mint tea with sugar is a popular drink in Morocco (Moroccan mint tea is a popular drink around the world as well)
- Most large mammals no longer live in the country (although camels, sheep, and goats can still be found in the country)
- Moroccan government is ruled by both a monarchy and a Parliament, with its legal system based on Islamic law
- It is one of the 3 current monarchy kingdoms in Africa (the 2 others are the Kingdom of Lesotho and the Kingdom of Eswatini)
- The state religion of the country is Islam, with the majority of people practicing Sunni Islam
- The 2 official languages are Modern Standard Arabic and Amasigh (Berber), with the unofficial languages of Darija (otherwise known as Moroccan Arabic) and French
- Morocco gained official independence from France & Spain in 1956
- It’s believed that humans have inhabited the regions of the country for at least 90,000-300,000 years
If you’re interested in learning more about other fun facts about history and historical figures, check out our History page! Keep coming back every Tuesday and Friday for more posts as well.
Places of the World Africa African Cities african countries african country African History African vacations casablanca facts about africa facts about african cities facts about african countries facts about casablanca facts about morocco fun facts about africa fun facts about african cities fun facts about african countries fun facts about casablanca fun facts about morocco history blog history blogs history of morocco lifestyle blog lifestyle blogs moroccan vacations morocco travel blog travel blogs traveling to africa traveling to casablanca traveling to morocco vacations to africa vacations to casablanca vacations to morocco
As an recent college graduate who studied media studies and anthropology in college, Briana Maddox enjoys learning about different cultures, traditions, holidays, historical figures, experiences, and opinions. With a vested interest in sharing such learning experiences, Briana created Life & Anthropology in the hopes of helping other people gain a better understanding and working knowledge of such topics.