The Korean Peninsula is in the news quite a bit nowadays with the leaders of North Korea and the United States not getting along well with each other. However, that doesn’t diminish the long history that’s worth learning about, no matter what part of the world you’re from. Don’t know much about the history of the Korean Peninsula? Look not further!
Here are 15 fun facts about the area:
- Humans began living in the Korean Peninsula for the last 10,000 years
- Europeans first reached the Korean Peninsula in the 1650s, and Korean ports banned them until the 19th century
- The Korean War began in 1950 and the fighting stopped in 1953, when North Korea and South Korea split into two separate countries
- The Korean War never officially ended
- Korea split into 3 countries in 108 B.C. and again in 901 A.D.
- Korea became unified in 660 A.D. and again in 936 A.D.
- North Korea is known for being one of the harshest dictatorships in the world
- South Korea is home to the highest plastic surgery rate in the world
- South Korea is home to the fastest internet speed, and between 92-96% of South Korean citizens have internet access
- The South Korean musician Psy – famously known for the song “Gangnam Style” – had the first song to reach 1 billion views on YouTube (“Gangnam Style” refers to the rich, lavish spending in the luxurious lifestyle of the Gangnam district in Seoul, South Korea)
- Kim Il Sung – the first leader of North Korea – had a philosophy of Juche, which caused widespread famine and economic issues since the country accepts little to no aid from other countries
- Three generations of the same family ruled over North Korea as harsh dictators
- The border between North Korea & South Korea is heavily militarized border, known officially as the Korean Demilitarized Zone
- Much of North Korea’s income comes from exporting natural resources
- North Korea’s citizens are heavily monitored to ensure that they comply with strict laws, and the media is made up of heavily edited propaganda pieces
Places of the World asia asian countries asian history facts about korea facts about north korea facts about south korea fun facts about korea fun facts about north korea fun facts about south korea gangnam style History history of asia history of korea history of north korea history of south korea history of the world juche juche philosophy kim il sung kim jung il kim jung un korean history life News North Korea Philosophy psy Religion South Korea the korean peninsula the korean war World History
As an recent college graduate who studied media studies and anthropology in college, Briana Maddox enjoys learning about different cultures, traditions, holidays, historical figures, experiences, and opinions. With a vested interest in sharing such learning experiences, Briana created Life & Anthropology in the hopes of helping other people gain a better understanding and working knowledge of such topics.