Egypt’s bustling capital, Cairo is a home to a rich history dating back to Ancient Egypt. Cairo is in a central location for visiting a number of Ancient Egyptian sites and is a central part of the Arab World. Don’t know much about the city? Well, no worries – you’ve come to the right place! Here are 10 fun facts about Cairo:
- Cairo is the 2nd largest city in Africa
- Cairo is the largest city in the Middle East and the Arab world
- The Great Pyramids and the world-famous Sphinx are near Cairo and are visible from the city
- Tours inside the Pyramids happen on a daily basis (however, pictures aren’t allowed, and people aren’t allowed to climb the pyramids)
- The Egyptians built the Great Pyramids were built in 2560 B.C.
- Cairo has existed for roughly 3,000 years, and is a relatively young capital city by Egyptian standards
- The Museum of Egyptian Antiquities – commonly known as the Egyptian Museum or the Museum of Cairo – holds at least 120,000 Ancient Egyptian artifacts, including some from the tomb of King Tutankhamun
- The Egyptian Museum also holds the world’s largest collection of Pharaonic artifacts
- The Great Pyramids aren’t the only pyramids worth seeing near Cairo – Saqqara is located near southern Cairo and is home to the Step Pyramid, Egypt’s oldest pyramid
- Cairo became the capital of Egypt in 972 A.D.
Places of the World Ancient Egypt Ancient Egyptian History ancient egyptian museums cairo Cities Cities of the World Egypt Egyptian History first egyptian pyramid fun facts about african cities fun facts about cairo fun facts about egypt fun facts about egyptian cities history of Egypt largest city in africa largest city in the middle east life life and anthropology museum of cairo museums museums about ancient egypt museums holding ancient egyptian artifacts museums in cairo museums to see museums to see in egypt museums to visit museums to visit in Africa museums to visit in Cairo museums to visit in Egypt museums to visit in the middle east Religion saqqara school second largest city in africa the egyptian museum the great pyramids the museum of egyptian antiquities the sphinx the step pyramid what museums are in cairo what museums does cairo have what's the capital city of egypt what's the capital of egypt what's the first pyramid that was built in egypt what's the largest city in the middle east what's the oldest egyptian pyramid what's the second largest city in africa when did cairo become the capital city of egypt when did cairo become the capital of egypt when were the great pyramids built where's the first egyptian pyramid where's the first egyptian pyramid located where's the oldest egyptian pyramid located World History
As an recent college graduate who studied media studies and anthropology in college, Briana Maddox enjoys learning about different cultures, traditions, holidays, historical figures, experiences, and opinions. With a vested interest in sharing such learning experiences, Briana created Life & Anthropology in the hopes of helping other people gain a better understanding and working knowledge of such topics.